Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Who is to blame?

The following post is from Multicultural Ambassador, Traivohn J. To read more about the Multicultural Ambassadors program go to www.tarleton.edu/diversity.  


Last week I got the opportunity to travel to San Antonio with the Multicultural Ambassadors. On the second day of the trip we went to the Alamo. I don't know about anyone else but I like to try to feel the energy of the people that once protected this great symbol of Texas history. As I was walking in the line to enter the Alamo and preparing to walk in the footsteps of those brave men and women I overheard a conversation between a young Anglo boy and his parents. He couldn't have been any older than 7 but he could describe the events of the Alamo as if he had been there to witness it. As a Texan and an American I was proud, but as a African American I felt ashamed. I was proud of how familiar the young boy was with his history but I know young children of color who don't know their history. My question is who takes the blame. Does it rest on the schools? History books do offer a look at the history of people of color but that can easily be missed if a student were to blink at the wrong time. Does the blame rest on us? We may have not been brought up knowing our history, but I feel that we are more aware than our younger brothers and sisters yet we do not always take the time to educate them. My question for you is who does the blame ultimately sit with and what can be done to make sure that the generation after us knows their history?


Spring Break Culture Excursion -San Antonio, TX 
~Traivohn J., Multicultural Ambassador 


We hope that you will stop by the office (TSC # 21). Also, look for us on social media. Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TarletonDiversityInclusion and read along with our journeys here on the blog:  http://tarletondiversityinclusion.blogspot.com/ 
You can also see our images on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarletondiversity/ 
Or follow us on Twitter: @DiversityTSU or email us directly at Diversity@Tarleton.edu  

No comments:

Post a Comment